Our mission is to build leaders in Cooperative Extension at all levels and provide them with the vision, courage, and tools to lead in a changing world.
The NELD Program is designed for Cooperative Extension staff in the North Central Region of the United States who are selected by their administrators in their state.
University of Minnesota Extension is currently providing leadership to deliver the NELD Program in the North Central Region. This is a role they have had since 2011 and will continue in 2019 as they offer programming to Extension staff to deepen their capacity to lead.
The Purpose of NELD is to provide the opportunity for current and future Extension leaders and administrators to:
- Learn, apply and reflect on new effective leadership, organizational collaboration and change concepts and strategies
- Develop a better understanding of self and enhance personal effectiveness through assessments, coaching, feedback, individual goal setting, strategies for processing and managing information leading to results
- Strengthen competence in decision-making, build leadership capacity, improve effectiveness of extension programming and promote life-long learning
- Broaden understanding of Extension on a local, state, national and international level
- Build a more robust national Extension network
NELD programming consists of four sessions, including one international cultural immersion experience to support deeper, more challenging learning and to align NELD with national interest in internationalizing Cooperative Extension.
The current class runs from January through September, 2019. You can view programming from previous NELD cohorts at the links below.
For more information about the NELD Program, contact:
Sample Program Participant Reflections
It was a great experience. Thanks for developing a curriculum to anchor this experience. I appreciate the active use of adult learning principles and the opportunities to learn together.
Most rewarding professional experience I have ever encountered. Cultural immersion experience was amazing, soul searching, and profound.
I really enjoyed interacting with NELD teammates and learning more about them professionally and personally. Thank you for stretching my perspectives and experiences as I build on my leadership and management.